Features and Benefits:
- Fusion Cell™ with patented technology provides unrivaled performance in baseline flatness, sensitivity, resolution, and reproducibility. Its superb technology enables detection of the weakest thermal transitions and the most accurate enthalpy and specific heat capacity measurements.
- Enhanced Tzero heat flow technology for the X3 guarantees temperature and enthalpy accuracy simultaneously on all three samples
- High-end performance with three sample calorimeters provide unmatched flexibility from replicate testing for statistical analysis to validation/verification against a control sample for the ultimate in certainty
- Modulated DSC® (MDSC®) for the most efficient separation of complex thermal events.
- One-Touch-Away™ User Interface enhances usability and access to data on the instrument.
- Reliable linear autosampler with 54 programmable tray positions for worry-free 24/7 operation, flexible programming of experiments, and automated calibration and verification routines.
- Widest range of refrigerated cooling options eliminates liquid nitrogen expense and ensures uninterrupted sub-ambient operation during extended autosampler routines.
- Tzero Press and pans for fast, simple, and reproducible sample preparation.
- Powerful software that delivers an exceptional user experience in a combined package for instrument control, data analysis, and reporting. Features such as automated calibration routines and real-time test method editing provide unmatched flexibility, while One-Click analysis and custom reporting raise productivity to new levels.
- Commitment to quality backed by the industry’s ONLY five-year cell and furnace warranty for peace of mind.
TA Instruments has set the bar in the science of DSC where best-in-class performance is realized without the need for pre- and post-test data manipulation prevalent in competitive offerings. The Discovery Series DSC’s provide both novice and advanced DSC users the highest confidence in generating superior data, while enhancing laboratory workflows and productivity.
Innovative Technology, Unmatched Productivity, Extraordinary Possibilities
|Instrument Features||X3 DSC|
|Enhanced Tzero Heat Flow||
|User Replaceable Cell||
|Dual input Gas-Delivery Manifold||
|Color App-Style Touch Screen||
|Baseline Flatness (-50 to 300°C)||≤10 μW|
|Baseline Repeatability (-50 to 300°C)||<15μW|
|Temperature Range||-180°C to 550°C|
 No Baseline subtractions
Fusion Cell ™
Fusion Cell ™
At the core of every Discovery DSC is the NEW TA Fusion Cell™, which incorporates design concepts that “FUSE” together the best features of the world’s bestselling Q-Series and first generation Discovery DSC, patented Tzero® technology, and new proprietary manufacturing processes. Unlike competitive designs, the Discovery DSC delivers optimum performance with a single sensor, eliminating the need to exchange sensors to optimize a specific performance aspect. The result is an innovative new DSC with unrivaled performance in baseline flatness, sensitivity, resolution, and reproducibility.
Features and Benefits:
- A multi-sensor adaptation of TA’s ground-breaking Discovery DSC Fusion Cell.
- Patented Tzero technology measures the cell resistance and capacitance (ability to store energy) characteristics. It delivers a fundamentally more accurate heat flow measurement with incomparable baseline performance, while eliminating the need for baseline corrections prevalent in all other competitive offerings.
- Fixed X3 sensor provides a stable configuration with a well-defined and reproducible heat flow path.
- Rugged uniblock silver furnace with long-life windings ensures superior temperature control and uniformity.
- Unique cooling rods and ring design produce superior cooling performance over a wide temperature range, higher cooling rates, and more responsive heating to cooling operation.
- Temperature-controlled electronics ensure the utmost in stability and repeatability of measured signals.
- Innovative gas delivery manifold provides gas switching and a consistent, repeatable atmosphere.
The Fusion Cell delivers the most absolute heat flow measurement possible. Additionally, lengthy pre- and post-test manipulations such as baseline subtractions or de-smearing routines required by competitive designs are never necessary.
Traditionally, DSC heat flow measurements have been based on the same principle that ASSUMES contributions by the sample and reference sensor to the total measured heat flow simply cancel each other out. If this assumption was true, all DSC’s would have perfectly flat baselines. In reality, they do not. The fact is that each sensor’s resistance and capacitance (ability to store energy) produce imbalances in the heat flow, resulting in deviations from baseline flatness and impaired resolution and sensitivity. ONLY TA Instruments, with patented Tzero Technology, can measure this imbalance. Tzero Technology eliminates complicated pre- and post-test manipulations, such as baseline subtraction, deconvolution or other mathematical treatments competitive designs must use to improve baseline performance, sensitivity and resolution.
Patented Tzero Technology measures the resistance and capacitance of the sensors and utilizes these values in the four-term heat flow equation to give the most accurate real-time determination of heat flow available on any DSC. TA engineers have taken this one step further by also including the contributions of the DSC pans. This Advanced Tzero technology, T4P heat flow, provides the sharpest resolution, the highest sensitivity and allows for the measurement of heat capacity in a single run! Tzero
Features and Benefits:
- Flattest baselines available of any DSC on the market, resulting in the purest data without manipulation or subtraction.
- Highest resolution and sensitivity, without ever needing lengthy pre- and post-test manipulations as required by competitive designs.
- Direct measurement of heat capacity delivering the most uniform and accurate heat flow to and from the sample.
- By improving every aspect of performance, the Discovery DSC delivers data the user can trust, in all applications, all the time.
DISCOVER more Accurate Data with patented Tzero™ Technology
Modulated DSC Gain confidence in data interpretation with the help of MDSC®. Through deconvolution of the Total Heat Flow signal, events such as a glass transition masked under an evaporation peak, or the simultaneous occurrence of a cold crystallization with a melt, are easily revealed.
In TA’s patented MDSC*, a sinusoidal temperature oscillation is overlaid on the traditional linear ramp. The net effect is that heat flow can be measured simultaneously with, and independently of, changes in heat capacity. The Total Heat Flow signal contains the sum of all thermal transitions, just as in standard DSC.
Modulated DSC separates the Total Heat Flow into the Reversing and Non-Reversing Heat Flow signals. The Reversing Heat Flow, comprised of the heat capacity component, contains glass transition and melting transitions. The Non-Reversing Heat Flow, the kinetic component, contains events like curing, volatilization, melting, and decomposition. TA invented MDSC and understands it like no other company. Modulated DSC is a standard feature on EVERY Discovery DSC model.
Benefits of MDSC include:
- Separation of complex and overlapping transitions into more easily interpreted components.
- Increased sensitivity for detecting weak transitions.
- Increased resolution without loss of sensitivity.
- More accurate measurement of polymer crystallinity.
- Direct measurement of heat capacity.
* U.S. Patent No. 6,561,692
It’s hard to believe we could improve on the most reliable DSC autosampler on the market, but we did! The new linear autosampler was designed to be even more rugged and simple to use than ever before, while offering maximum in testing flexibility.
Autosampler Features and Benefits:
- New Linear X-Y-Z design with integrated auto lid reduces sample loading time for increased throughput and reliability.
- The integrated auto lid gives consistent and repeatable cell closure further improving the repeatability of measurements.
- New laser positioning system enables one-touch automatic calibration and pan location verification.
- Scheduled and unattended calibrations and verifications gives scientists more time for research.
- TRIOS software makes it easier than ever to manage and run a large and diverse sample queue.The Design View and Running Queue allow for quick and efficient autosampler programming.
- Sample and reference pans may be assigned to any combination of the available 54 positions. Includes two quick-change trays for more convenient remote sample preparation.
- Convenient design allows the choice of unloading pans back to the tray, or disposing of them freeing space for continuous sample queuing.
APP Style Touch Screen
The X3 DSC features TA’s innovative touch screen, making operation easier than ever with enhanced One-Touch-Away™ functionality.
Touch Screen Features and Benefits:
- Ergonomic design for enhanced accessibility and productivity.
- Packed with functionality to simplify instrument operation.
- Resilient, responsive touch screen for an enhanced user experience.
The One-Touch-Away™ interface includes:
- Start/stop controls
- View active method
- Autosampler calibration
- System information
- Real-time signals and plot
- Advance to next step in method
- Load/unload plans
- Test and instrument status
Dramatically improve laboratory workflow and productivity with the One-Touch-Away™ interface, TA’s powerful TRIOS software and the most robust, reliable DSC autosampler. These features enable automated calibration and verification routines that all work seamlessly for a simpler and more intuitive interaction.
Refrigerated Cooling Systems (RCS)
Take advantage of the convenient Refrigerated Cooling Systems (RCS) for unattended DSC and MDSC® operation over broad temperature ranges. The new RCS 120 provides enhanced safety and is the only liquid nitrogen-free system capable of conducting experiments down to -120°C.
RCS Features and Benefits:
- One-, Two-, or Three-stage refrigeration systems that achieve temperature ranges down to -40 °C, -90 °C or -120 °C
- Sealed system eliminates the need for liquid nitrogen cooling
- Enables cycling, MDSC®, controlled, and ballistic cooling experiments
- Safe, convenient, and continuous cooling operation for your laboratory needs
Discovery Liquid Nitrogen Pump Accessory (LN Pump)
The LN pump provides the highest performance and greatest flexibility in cooling for the Discovery DSC. It facilitates the lowest operational temperature (to -180 °C), greatest cooling rate capacity (to 140 °C/min), fastest sub-ambient equilibration times, and an upper temperature limit of 550°C. Operating at ambient pressure, the LN Pump uses liquid nitrogen efficiently, thus reducing operating costs. It includes a 50-liter Dewar with auto-fill capability which allows the LN Pump to be automatically refilled from a larger source, even during a DSC experiment, for continuous DSC operation with no disruption.
Tzero high-performance pans and lids are designed to maximize pan flatness and sample contact. Coupled with the unparalleled flatness and uniformity of the Fusion Cell™ sensor, the Tzero pans and lids provide the most direct, uniform heat flow path from the sample to the sensor. These pans are tolerant of many sample forms and are designed with lids that conform to the top of irregular specimens, efficiently transferring heat to and from the entire sample. Competitive pan designs that have non-flat bases are unable to achieve appropriate thermal contact with solid specimens. Fabricated using advanced technology and to extremely tight tooling specifications, the Tzero pans offer significant improvements in resolution and repeatability over any other pan design.
Tzero DSC Sample Encapsulation Press
The Tzero press takes sample encapsulation to a higher level of performance and convenience in conventional and hermetic sealing of a wide variety of materials. The press kit includes four die sets for Tzero aluminum and hermetic pans & lids. Optional die sets are available for high-volume DSC pans and Discovery TGA sealed pans. The die sets are magnetically attached with no tools or adjustments required. In addition, each die set is color-coded to the box containing the compatible Tzero or standard aluminum hermetic pans and lids.
Sample Cutting Kit
Samples for testing in the DSC come in all different forms, shapes, and sizes and typically require some type of manipulation before they can be loaded into a DSC pan. The sample cutting kit includes tools that will make it simple and easy to properly prepare samples for the ultimate repeatability and reliability of the results. A pliers-style sample cutter will provide a sample with a clean, flat surface to maximize sample to pan contact. A 4mm hole-punch and hammer will allow film samples to be cut into a consistent size perfect for Tzero pans. This tool kit is designed to help ensure that the high-level performance of the Fusion Cell and the Tzero pans is enhanced with the perfectly prepared sample.
Tzero® Powder Sample Preparation Kit
The task of loading powder samples into Tzero pans is now quicker and easier with the powder sample prep kit. Specifically designed to maximize the performance of Tzero Pans with powdered samples, the kit consists of a non-skid base and a three-part tool precision machined from high quality stainless steel. The lower tool has a precisely designed recess that holds the Tzero pan and supports and protects the bottom of the pan. The upper tool mounts over the pan, forming a funnel which directs the sample into the center of the pan, avoiding undesirable contamination of the outside surfaces of the pan. A steel rod is used to pack the sample firmly into the bottom of the pan, forming a packed layer of the powder while preserving the flatness of the bottom of the Tzero pan. Using this tool you can easily and effectively optimize the results of your DSC measurements of powdered samples.
Discover powerful TRIOS software that delivers exceptional user experience in a combined package for instrument control, data analysis and reporting. New features such as automated calibration routines, multiple calibration sets, real-time test method editing, and inter-laboratory data and test method sharing provide unmatched flexibility, while one-click analysis and custom reporting raise productivity to new levels.
TRIOS Features & Benefits:
- Control multiple instruments with a single PC and software package
- Overlay and compare results across techniques including DSC, TGA, DMA, SDT and rheometers.
- Unlimited licensing and free lifetime software upgrades.
- One-Click analysis for increased productivity.
- Automated custom report generation including: experimental details, data plots and tables, control charts and analysis results.
- Convenient data export to plain-text, CSV, XML, Excel®, Word®, PowerPoint®, and image formats.
- Optional TRIOS Guardian with electronic signatures for audit trail and data integrity.
TRIOS software makes calibration of the entire line of Differential Scanning Calorimeters simple. Users can easily generate multiple calibration data sets under varying experimental conditions (e.g. different heating rates or gas selections) and seamlessly switch between them to match the experimental conditions used for sample testing. Real-time signals and the progress of running experiments is readily available, with the added capability of modifying a running method on the fly. TRIOS software offers a level of flexibility that is unmatched in the industry.
Complete Data Record
The advanced data collection system automatically saves all relevant signals, active calibrations, and system settings. This comprehensive set of information is invaluable for method development, procedure deployment and data validation.
Complete Data Analysis Capabilities
A comprehensive set of relevant tools are available for real-time data analysis, even during experiments. Gain actionable insights into your material’s behavior through a powerful and versatile set of features seamlessly integrated into TRIOS
All Standard DSC Analyses
All Standard DSC Analyses:
- Glass transition, step change analysis
- Peak integration
- 1st and 2nd derivatives
- Oxidative onset temperature
- Oxidative induction time
- Running integral and conversion
- Peak height and area
- Temperature at peak maximum
- Onset and endset analyses
- Easily import and export DSC data with TRIOS
Advanced Analysis Capabilities (Standard Features)
- Kinetic models for cure reactions, crystallization and decomposition.
- Deconvolution of the Total Heat Flow signal with MDSC® into Reversing and Non-Reversing Heat Flow signal.
- Advanced custom analysis and control charts with user-defined variables and models.
- Batch processing enables automated analysis, reporting, and control charting of large data sets.